Labels

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The real goodbye.


Yesterday, I spent an hour with a friend's cat. The friend left her darling baby behind and went to some tropical island to holiday with her husband. The nerve!! I went over to check on his general well being, and to empathise with him over being treated so badly.

Chomper, the cat, reciprocated by meowing to his little heart's content. When he was done eating the treat he was given, he sat himself by my feet, and got to the business of grooming. My daughter, who came along to give me company, got her fair share of kitty love. When we were leaving, I called him Leloo, my love name for Leo, by mistake. It reminded me of the fact that I will not be calling Leo by that name again.

I was not planning on writing this post script. I thought if I kept this news to myself, I would keep the memories I had of Leo's summer with us close to heart.  I was so verbose about Leo's affection for me, and my undying love for him, I think I dishonor that love by not writing the last chapter.

Less than a week after Leo went home, he passed away. His mom made him as comfortable as she could. He got his favorite foods that he had trouble keeping down. His doctor knew that his organs were failing, and that he was just too old to carry on.

I did not see him after he went home. I was giving him time to share with his family; how much he loved staying with ours, and how he would do it again next year. It was a shock to hear that he went downhill so fast. In hindsight, the fact that he didn't run and bark often the last week now makes sense. I had attributed it to the fact that he was really missing his own family, and that it was hot as Hades.

Leo's family has put him to rest in their backyard. His mom can see his grave from the kitchen window. They have planted beautiful white flowers all over it.

I loved Leo. I had him for six weeks this summer. I can still smell his just-bathed-smell when I look at his photos. The kids and their dad have been trying to convince me that we NEED a dog. I just want Leo back!!!

- Missing-her-Leo mama

No comments:

Post a Comment