Labels

Monday, June 28, 2010

Leaving Leo

Ever since I became a mother, I do something that drives people around me crazy. I vocalize how much I miss my babies once they are out of sight. How much I miss them depends on how busy (read interested) I am in whatever I am doing. The younger one, my eleven years old son, is usually the subject of my plaintive sorrowful tone when I suggest to my fifteen year old daughter how much I miss him half an hour into my shopping expedition with her.

Being a smartypants, she has figured out how to get me to hush up. She starts talking like he does when he wants something from me. That usually cures me right away!

Well, lately Leo has been the one I miss if I have to step out. In the fortnight that he's been with us, there have been two occasions that he was left alone at home. The second time we ended up staying out for nearly two hours longer than our initial plan of leaving him alone for two hours. Four hours!! My little bundle of 'follow-mommy-everywhere' was left alone!!! So when I complained to my son that it was more separation than what I cared for, his first reaction was that he was not numero uno on my affection list anymore. It was followed by a suggestion that maybe we could wait for a dog after he left for college so he wouldn't have to see his mother loving his puppy more than him.

Leo did not suffer from his alone time. He was sleeping in his bed when we walked in to cuddle with him and beg his forgiveness. A taste of the takeout we brought home with us probably went a long way in repairing the hurt we had caused to his spirit.

I have decided, if my daughter chooses to play 18-holes of golf, that's her choice. I will not go watch her play the last four holes, if it means leaving my summer guest unattended. It'll save me from the abominable hundred degrees heat as a bonus.

P.S. His folks do allow us to give him a spoonful of human food with every meal. I am not spoiling/hurting/abusing this dog.

- Leo's summer mom

No comments:

Post a Comment